Friday, December 2, 2011

Chapter 3 (part 3)

No matter how much I want to kill a man, I will never use a sword against a drunk. Yeah, that’s how good a person I am. So as a safe alternative to blades, I’ll pummel him with my fist instead.

I raised two open palms, one outstretched and the other close to my chest, and my right foot in front of the left. The Dragon Slayer also raised both his fist but close to his face, although much sloppier. But something tells me that if he weren't drunk, he would have thought of a much efficient stance.

He attacked first using a slow right punch. Once his arm was fully stretched, I pulled it and his face met with with my knee. Next, I grabbed him by the neck with one hand and threw him into the tables. I didn't let up and charged. I tried to punch him in the face but he caught my fist and hit me in the abdomen with other fist. 

I flew across the room, eyes filled with surprise for two reasons: one, I didn't expect a splendid counter attack from a drunk man and two, that actually really hurt...

Then we recovered, stood up, and charged at each other simultaneously.

But it's me were talking about. As I ran, I discreetly dragged a chair and threw it his way. While he had his full attention on dodging the chair, I hit him on his abdomen thrice in rapid succession. 

Clearly not a good move since his face turned green and vomited all over. I hastily retreated to avoid even the smallest droplet of that nasty stuff.  

I grimaced at the scene and looked away. The longer I look, the higher the probability of me throwing up myself.

Taking pity on this poor Slayer who was holding his abdomen, trembling, and slowly crouching down on the floor, I decided to stop the fight.

“Tell you what,” I said as I crouched beside him. “I’ll just knock you unconscious and you can fight me in the tournament when you’re more…sober. Because this fight is a joke.”

I punched him behind his head and he dropped onto the vomit covered floor unconscious. That’s just disgusting.

I turned to walk, no run away.

When I got out of the building, I let out a disappointed and heavy sigh. This was not my day at all. First I challenged Noirxus but the announcer threw it out the window. I’d throw him myself next time. To redeem myself, I challenged Noirxus to a spar but the stupid town didn’t have anywhere to spar in. And now I challenged the Dragon Slayer but he was too drunk to fight properly.

Three challenges carried by the air bringing my pride and self-respect with them.

I was so angry that I unconsciously punched a nearby stone wall. When I realized it, I checked if I broke it. I found a small crack, panicked and immediately fled the scene. I returned to the inn where Noirxus should be waiting.

v(O_o)v

I entered our room where I found Noirxus lying on the bed with his hands behind his head.

“Well you’re not drunk,” he said as soon as he saw me.

“I don’t get drunk,” I replied as I walked to my own bed, kicking my boots off and tossing my cloak on the bedpost. I also took off my sword and leather traveling vest. I placed the sword on the bed.

“Then did you look for trouble?” Noirxus asked now looking at the ceiling.

“Do I look like that kind of person?” I asked, confused.

He paused and thought about it, “Actually yes. Yes, you do.”

I sat on my own bed and arranged the sword properly so that I can easily access it in case of a night attack. “If you must know, met the slayer at the bar,” I said.

Noirxus sat up and asked in a serious voice, “Did you kill him?”

“No dummy! I made him puke his guts out,” I answered in a playful tone.  

“I never thought I’d make this sound in my lifetime but… ew,” Noirxus grimaced.

I looked at him. “You know what. That dragon slayer was right. You are a pansy!”

“He called me a pansy?”

“You think you’re not? Let me give you three reasons why I think you are,” I sat up straight and counted on my fingers. “One, you’re terribly good looking. Two, you fight on defensive by default and lastly, you say ‘ew’”

“You think I’m good looking?” Noirxus asked, embarrassed.

“Don’t flatter yourself. I don’t think it at all but the apparently the other majority of the female population does. Don’t tell me you didn’t realize the ruckus you caused today when you went in the ring!”

“Well… I don’t care much about looks and I can’t help that I was born looking this way,” he shrugged.  “And being on offensive is dangerous to my opponents if they are weak.”

I could relate to him somehow. “In any case, tomorrow’s the next elimination round. You better win so I can fight you in the semifinals then I’ll fight the Dragon Slayer in the finals.”

“You do know that there are other two contestants in the semifinals?” Noirxus said raising an eyebrow.  

“What?” I said aloud and recalculated. He was right. I shrugged and continued, “Well whatever. Just make sure you win long enough so I can fight you,”

“You are so carefree,” Noirxus exclaimed as he resumed lying on his bed.

I shrugged and crashed on the bed myself. “Noirxus, is it alright to kill a Dragon Slayer on stage during the finals?”

There was a long pause before he answered that I thought he was asleep but then he said, “I don’t know if you’re joking or not but one thing’s for sure: fights are always unpredictable.”

I nodded, satisfied with that answer. So what happens to the Slayer happens. Noirxus is right. I am carefree. 


5 comments:

  1. Are the action scenes alright? Too detailed or more details needed? Are longer fights recommended? Is the style fine too or should I add more descriptions to...everything? Thank you for your comments~

    And lastly... is Chryisle's attitude too...strong? Should I tone her...rudeness(?) down a bit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. It's a bit late to change Chryisle's attitude unless you do it naturally through like her warming up to others or something.

    2. The action itself seems fine. For the fight scene you use "I" a lot. Try switching your sentence structures so it's not always sounding the same? Like... as an example: "His fist clumsily rushed past my face. Meeting the zero-resistance of air, he toppled forward... into my knee. My fist quickly whirled around to connect with his face, and I felt the breaking of his jaw" Or something like that lol. Basically, what I'm trying to say is, not always "I kneed him in the chest. Next, I punched him in the nose." It doesn't always have to be from the perspective of Chryisle in a sense. Like tell it through his actions sometimes. HE punched. Rather than something like "I dodged the punch of his." Sorta.. that make sense? And you should use more complex sentences as well? Your sentence structure tends to be rather plain in some instances. Another good idea would be to use some literary devices. "When I punched him in the abdomen, his face turned a green complimentary to his eyes." Or something witty like that.. cept that kinda sucked haha. But yeah. Try and change up your structure some more and proof read your verb tense definitely. A lot of times you put future where it should be present, present where it should be past, or past where it should be present. Just check up and read it out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ummm, you're trying too hard to force a personality onto your characters. I mean, when people are truely carefree they don't actually say that they are, or admit to it. The last line made me say that "Noirxus is right. I am carefree." it would be more natural if you said 'maybe Noirxus is right. I am carefree.' it seems more natural for a carefree person to not realize it themselves the moment that they are told that they're carefree that they actually are, it would make more sense if she questioned Noir's statement slightly before agreeing to it.

    ReplyDelete