Saturday, December 17, 2011

Chapter 6 (part 1)

“Chryisle wait. We’re being rude to the next contestants,” Noirxus said in an attempt to rein my temper. “Shouldn’t we let them go first?”

I looked at Noirxus with the most piercing glare I could muster. “Where are your so called next contestants? Hurry and point them out so I can kill them.”

Suddenly I heard two sets of footsteps scrambling desperately away in fear.

“We’re sorry! We didn’t know monsters were allowed to fight!” one of the two retreating figures yelled as they ran.

Now who’s being rude again?

“Chryisle did you know you glare a lot?” Noirxus said matter-of-factly. “That’s not very nice.”

I picked up a rock and threw it to him, hitting him square in the head. “Shut up,” I growled.

The dragon slayer jumped from the highest seat of the stone bleacher down to the unrecognizable battlefield that was once a stage. He quickly unsheathed his swords from his hips. Both of them had jagged teeth like a saw but bigger, pointier teeth like a shark or something.

“You girl,” he called. “You’ve humiliated me before. Let me pay you back.”

“Money’s fine, thank you very much.” I said sarcastically. “But if you really insist, I’m in a great mood to drown you in your vomit once more.”

His face turned beet red. I think he just remembered how embarrassing the situation was. “I’ll…I’ll make you pay for that!”

“Chryisle will you need my help?” Noirxus offered sincerely. “He’s a dragon slayer after all. You might not be able to handle him alone.”

I snorted and looked at him with a smirk. “Just make sure you secure the prizes since we’ll have to claim them today.”

Noirxus nodded and disappeared into the elevated judge’s panel just across the stage. There should have been three judges in that panel since the whole tournament began. But I’ve never seen them since my fights have always been a decisive win and I take a nap or skip the rest of the tournament. But they should have the prizes ready today or else…

The Dragon Slayer, as the person whom issued the challenge, attacked first with a double side swing. But all he hit was air or more accurately, my after image. I reappeared behind him and mocked, “What’s the slowest creature on earth?”

The slayer recovers and shifted his handling to a backhand and thrust his sword to me. But I could read his movements before he could even execute them. So in a deliberate attempt to hurt his pride even further, I stood on his shoulders musing, “I mean snails yes; but Dragon Slayers?”

My opponent was getting more and more upset by the minute as he impatiently slashed over his head. My fight with Noirxus was much more interesting than this but toying with an opponent isn’t that bad either. I sat on a nearby rock intentionally turning my back to him as I ridiculed him further, “That’s just not right…”

He chased me from behind and started attacking recklessly. His killing intent was so fierce that I could immediately tell where the attack was coming from without even turning around to look. So I merely blocked with my sword behind me. I even let out a huge yawn. 

But as you know, I don’t enjoy being on defensive for long.

“Enough talk,” I said finally showing a sadistic smile. “Let’s get on with the action!”

My opponent seemed to regard me with discontent as he uttered angrily, “What do you think I’ve been doing for the past five minutes? You’re the one rambling uncontrollably by yourself.”

I felt a vein in my head pop. Here I was being the good person, giving him a chance to warm up and then he gives me that attitude? He should be grateful for my motivational speech! If I wanted to, I could give this person the beating of a lifetime.

Then I thought, why not?

So I proceeded to give him a beating using the flat of my sword. This person, who claims to be a dragon slayer, might either be an impostor or a virgin at killing. The reason is that he lacks battle experience. From the moment our swords first touched, I decided to spare his life but not without giving him some broken bones and a fair warning to change his path in life.  A threat like ‘seek another profession or I will appear in your sleep and kill you’ should suffice.

While I was in the middle of my fun punishing game, he suddenly dropped on the ground. I immediately stopped by blade short of decapitating the guy, thinking he just ducked in fear in the worst moment. But he just laid there without moving as if he was unconscious. I poked his body with the tip of my sword.

“What’s the matter with you?” I asked, relentlessly poking him like some kid who found a dead animal on the road. “Is it too hot out? Did your brain overheat?”

His whole body jerked all of a sudden, startling me. Then he growled at me like a feral dog as he stood up. His body began doubling in size with veins popping out his arms, legs, neck and face. Also note that his skin was turning red. I could sense that there was something wrong with him.

“Noirxus, what’s happening?” I called anxiously, taking a few steps back. “Do you think he’s just very excited?” Whatever it was that was happening to this slayer, it was not normal.

“I’m not sure you get that buffed even with all the excitement in the world,” Noirxus replied from the judge’s panel in that same matter of fact tone.

“That was a rhetorical question, Noirxus.” I looked at him with disbelief. “Do you think I’m stupid?”

“......”

“Don’t you dare answer that!” 

“I’m sorry. You asked.” he was getting flustered. 

“Stop playing around. What do you really think this is?”  

“I think it’s a spell…” his voice trailed off as we watched the slayer’s body bulge disproportionately and transform into this red-skinned, super burly, undead-like thing.

I gasped in horror the moment I realized what exactly was wrong.

“If the spell caster is nearby, hurry up and find him and stop this spell at once!” I yelled. “This spell is lethal if prolonged!” 

I could tell immediately that the spell was lethal by how rapid the rion in his body was depleting. Rion, magic and life are all interconnected to the point which the three meant the same thing. If the spell continues, then his power would increase by I don’t know how many folds. But the price for this power is that he’s only got five more minutes to live.

“Got it!” Noirxus said as he left leaping like a grasshopper.

Turning to the few people in the bleachers that either lacked common sense or just suicidal, I yelled, “If you care for your life, run!”

Luckily the response was immediate. So they still had common sense in them. Why didn’t it kick in sooner?

With the whole coliseum desolate, my full focus shifted to this one berserk-state dragon slayer.

This could get a bit messy.


Author's message: Sorry for the long wait~ I hope you enjoyed it! 

2 comments:

  1. weeeeeeee this made my day i was bored out of my mind XD thankies 4 the update <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. a bit of grammer here " “I mean snails yes; but Dragon Slayers?”"
    should've been 'I meant snails, yes. But Dragon Slayers?'

    ReplyDelete